Tuesday, November 17, 2009

TOMMY REVISITED

Finally after well over a month away from the keyboard I started back again today at my book about a boy called Tommy Tippett. I finished the first draft of the book around five weeks and 85,500 words ago. Most of what I have read about writing states that once the first draft is complete you should lock the manuscript away in a drawer and leave it there for some time and revisit it later when you are refreshed and recharged. The theory goes that the time away from your book will allow you to look at it in a new light when you revisit your pages.

So that's what I did, I had a break and now I have returned keen to finish the editing process and get the book out there and see what happens. I can't say it was easy though, I did have some trepidation about starting off again as I really wasn't all that excited about the whole process of reviewing over 200 A4 sized pages.

today I bite the bullet and opened the book and started to edit, finese and re-write. Like most things the hardest part was that first step and once on my way it was easier. I only completed 10 pages today but now know I can complete more than that so I have placed a deadline of finishing the editing of Tommy Tippett by 07 December 2009. Let see how it goes.

It was a balmy 12c here in OK Falls today and the sun was shining a nice change after almost a week of cold, wet and sometimes snowy weather.

I started my workout routine again yesterday, like writing it is hard to commit to that first step but oncec taken it becomes easier. My knees are holding up, just so no high impact workouts, but enough to get the cardio going and the waist trim.

On that point I bought a pair of Asic Kayano 15 runners, the same brand I have bought for the last 10 years. I priced them when I was back home in Oz a few weeks ago and they were almost $300. I bought a pair from the USA and I paid $100. It is hard to imagine why a pair of running shoes should almost cost $200 more in Australia.

I dropped the Jeep off at a local garage today for a full service. It is just a new business so I thought I would support a local business. I know buggerall about cars and I am always wary of mechanics and the like, I suppose I just don't trust them. I thought a worst case scenario may have been $200 so I was taken aback when it came to $316.

But wait there is more in Canada the pricec you see is never the price you get for nobody adds the Federal or Provincial tax into the price. So an airline ticket you see for $120 is in fact $150 or more. By the time the taxes were applied to my repair bill the total cost was $355. All for a service. he told me what he did but I don't trust him. Yeah sure, shop local!

No comments:

Post a Comment