Tuesday, March 30, 2010

MOUNTAIN CLIMB

Okanagan Falls is situated in a valley which is bordered on either side by craggy, pine-covered mountain’s which range in height from several hundred meters to just under 1000 meters. They provide a majestic backdrop for the tiny town which is nestled between Skaha and Vaseux Lakes.


In winter most of the mountains are snow-covered and ensure a late sunrise and an early sunset as the ranges block the rising and setting sun. We have a perfect view of these ranges from both the front and the back of our house and I have often looked wistfully at them and imagined myself climbing them.




Well today I did more than imagine I decided to climb one!


There is this one mountain that backs onto our house. It is different from the rest as it isn’t covered with pine trees. In fact it is bare rock and craggy in the main. You can’t miss it as it dominates the town of OK Falls especially as it has a telecommunications tower sitting atop.


For months I have been saying that I am going to climb it. I knew I could do it as it wasn’t a hand over hand climb more a steep pathway to the top. Now when I say a pathway I don’t mean a formed path. The paths that I used to the top were made by big horn sheep and deer. They aren’t always clear and defined but they are visible and usually cleared.

So around midday I set off with Matilda to conquer the mountain. I followed a well-worn path through the conservation area until I branched off onto a distinct an animal trail. It was a steady climb for me as Matilda ran in all directions several times flushing out herds of deer.




The animal trails sometimes lead into multiple trails so I often had more than one choice. Regularly the trail would peter out, though I would always find another one a few steps away. It was a simple process really as I knew I just had to keep heading up.


I had already done a 5.5 kilometer workout earlier in the morning but my stamina and my knees held up remarkably well. The climb took about 25 minutes with just one scant pause. I got to the top puffing and panting but in great shape.

The view was fantastic as you could see all the way to the town of Penticton some 15k’s away. I sat for a while and took in the vista always worried that the dog would chase a deer or a shadow and fall off the top of the mountain. 

 Whilst there the weather started to change and a light rain fell and that was my signal to head back down. Going up is tough but down is harder because of the stress it places on my knees. I am pretty used to it now and watched my footing as I often took short cuts and strayed off the track.



We were up and down in less than 2 hours and I was pleased to see that Matilda was looking a little frazzled. I felt great and now every time I raise my head to look to the top of that mountain I will know that I have climbed it.
Our house is on the third road                     About two thirds up
                                                 From the bottom looking up

No comments:

Post a Comment