Monday, July 26, 2010

FERRIES

Instead of driving all the way back to Tsawwassen which is just over the border in Canada we decided to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island from Anacortes which is halfway between Seattle and Vancouver.

The ferry left at 8:15am so we had to leave Seattle before six in the morning to ensure we were there in time to catch the ferry. Unfortunately for us it was a chilly foggy morning which wasn’t really conducive to travelling in an open top Jeep. We all froze on the trip especially the boys who were in the back and had little protection. The sun only poked its head through the fog as we reached the ferry terminal.

It was only a short line up and we didn’t have to wait long to board. The strange thing was that we boarded the ferry without clearing US Immigration and Customs. So they had a record of us entering the country but none of us leaving. I just hoped that this wouldn’t pose a problem the next time I entered the States.

The ferry was comfortable and sold a mean clam chowder which helped to warm us all up. The view was fabulous as the sun was now out in full force and the sea sparkled and the numerous islands that we passed shone.

The two hour trip to Sidney on Vancouver Island passed quickly and we were soon on our way off the ferry. We did pass through Canadian Immigration but it was just a cursory look at passports.

Our next goal was to find the ferry that would take us to Gabriola Island, our destination. Our GPS led us astray as we selected the quickest route which according to the GPS included another ferry crossing. It was a great idea in practice but not if the ferry isn’t due for another 45 minutes when you arrive. All we could do was back-track and rush for the terminal.

We just missed the ferry so we headed across the road from the ferry terminal to a small mall where we were able to watch the last 25 minutes of the world cup final. As we headed back to the Jeep I patted my pockets to find my wallet and soon came to the realization that I didn’t have it with me. I must have lost it when I made a purchase in a department store.
I rushed back to the store to find the cashier who served me missing. Then I spied her at the end of the store, hunched over writing. As I got closer I saw my wallet on the counter beside her. Relief! The cashier said that I must have dropped my wallet and a woman picked it up and handed it in. What a lucky fellow I am as the money was stuffed with not only Canadian dollars but Australian currency and Euro’s.
After a scolding from Tammie we boarded the ferry for the 20 minute trip to Gabriola Island. The island has a permanent population of 5,000, but this swells to 10,000 in the summer. We had book a cottage by the beach and were looking forward to a couple of days of exploration, swimming and kayaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment